These are all small items that are, still, absolutely essential to your go bag. Look over them carefully! This stuff would be equally well placed in your vehicle bag, too.
Go bag Essentials: the small stuff
Bottom line: These are a bunch of truly essential items for your go bag which are easy to overlook.
Recommended for: Go bag.
GO BAG FORGET-ME-NOTS
- So, toilet paper. Yeah, you don’t want to forget it. Roll up a bunch of stuff in home and put it in a Ziploc, or consider Coleman Camper's Toilet Paper which is pre packed and in a water resistant bag.
- While we’re on the subject of sanitation, both hand sanitizer like 1-ounce bottles of Purell (for when there’s no water), and a concentrated, bio-degradable camp soap are important. The Sea To Summit Wilderness Wash is effective for hands to dishes and is the right size at 3.3 ounces. A travel-sized toothpaste is a good idea, too. Lastly, we really like Epic Wipes, bamboo-based wipes big enough to clean your entire body. They’re thick and take up some room, but having at least one or two along isn’t a bad idea.
- Batteries. You should check the batteries on your go-bag flashlights every three to six months anyhow, but it’s a good idea to have a couple of extra AA Lithium batteries along.
- Best stuff in the world to have along? A small roll of duct tape, which you’ll find about a million uses for. We like Gorilla the best, and this Gorilla Duct Tape To-Go, 1" x 30 ft is ideal for your pack.
- While we’re talking sticky stuff, days of hiking on tender feet may soon cause blisters. Your first-aid kit may have some moleskin patches, but carrying FirstChoice Extra Durable Moleskin - 2" x 5 Yards is a wise move.
- Back-up fire: You’ll already have that super lighter, but if something went wrong and you lost it, it’s imperative to have a backup flame. A bunch of kitchen matches in a waterproof bag is a good start, and you might stick an extra Bic in there as well.
- Since we’re talking waterproof pouches, you’ll want to pack your bag using some, to keep important items dry. For true water proof, go with Aquapac pack-dividers: translucent bags you can stuff other things inside. They come in different sizes and make packing and organization easier.